Wednesday 2 October 2013

Journal # 10: I see red everywhere!

Red velvet anythings are trending nowadays, so I decided to jump in the bandwagon and make some other kinds of red velvet baked stuff. 

Customers have always loved my red velvet cake, so I wondered what the feedback would be if I included some red Velvet sandwiches to our King's Crust menu. 

I was supposed to make red velvet crinkles but then the consistency was too runny so I decided to still make them cookies in looks.

I made a cream cheese filling along with it, to make it an actual sandwich.I dunno why I'm sharing this recipe but yeah, they're actually that good. Haha Like miniature cakes but a little stronger. Moisture was kept inside too.
Cookies are red, violets are blue...how does it go again?

Red Velvet Sandwiches
Makes 36-40 cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup white sugar
1/2 c. butter
1 large beaten egg

2 cups flour (+1/4 if you think it's a little runny)
1/2 tsp. baking soda (a little more wouldn't hurt)
1/2 tsp salt

2 oz. melted unsweetened chocolate
1/3 cup milk (or buttermilk)
2 oz. Red dye
1 tsp vanilla

As for the filling, you can use any cream cheese frosting recipe you have. 

I preheated my oven to 350deg F. Then I sifted the flour together with the salt and baking soda. The recipe calls for only 1/2 tsp. but you may add a little more if you'd like. 

I creamed the butter then added the sugar until it became a little light and fluffy. I added the beaten egg last. 

I added the melted chocolate, vanilla, red dye and milk to the butter mixture. 

After all the wet ingredients are fully incorporated, I added them to the dry ingredients. Be sure not to over beat. 

Now, if you look at your batter and you think that it's a little runny, you may add a little more flour. 

Scoop them into an oiled cookie sheet. Then put them in the oven at 350F for 8-10 mins.

Let it cool and then frost it with your favorite cream cheese frosting.

As always, I let my bf be the judge of my cooking and he loved it! Not because he was biased towards me! HA ha! But yeah, he did love 'em! So i let him take half the sandwiches home! 

4Ts: Time to taste test!
Like what you read? Questions? Comments? Give me a shoutout in the comments! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment