Wednesday 9 October 2013

Journal # 11: Churros con Chocolate

I love chocolate! Now, who doesn't, right? Churros con chocolate has been one of my favorite rainy day foods. Chocolate is meant to enlighten someone's day and this wonderful combination just brings joy to my heart!

I made churros before and I hate to say this, but, I lost the recipe for it. So I just had to look for another one online. The wonderful thing about churros is it's very easy to make. 

Be sure to follow the exact measure of the ingredients or else the dough will be either too wet/sticky or too dry. 

Got this simple and wonderful recipe from BBC!
Although, I omitted the ingredients that I did not use and added some ingredients too.

Churros
Ingredients:
100g unsalted butter
200ml cold water
175g flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
3 large eggs, beaten
1-2 tbsp of icing sugar, for sprinkling

You start with sifting the flour and baking powder together. Then, combine the water and butter together on a small saucepan. Set it on medium-high heat and let it boil. The moment it boils take it off the pan and add the flour mixture to it. 

Beat it with a wooden spoon until combined well. Let it cool for a bit then add the beaten eggs one at a time. Beating well after each addition. Beat it until smooth and it comes off the sides of the bowl.

Let the mixture cool and set it aside. Make sure it is covered with cling/plastic wrap or maybe a towel, just to keep the moisture in. 

After letting it sit a while, start heating up your deep fryer. To make the churros, use a pastry bag with a jumbo open star tip. Cut them with scissors to the size you want. Fry for 1-2 minutes.

As for the chocolate sauce, this is the one that I've been using. It's a recipe that I can call my own. It's rich in chocolate flavor and isn't too sweet. 

Chocolate Sauce:
Ingredients:
1/4 c. Butter (add more or less depending on the consistency you like)
125g Bittersweet Chocolate (or dark chocolate)
Milk, at room temp (optional)

All you have to do is to put the chopped chocolate in a bowl and set it on a pan with boiling water, let the butter and chocolate melt and stir it up. Adding the milk will help with the consistency you want. :)



Jumbo Churros con Chocolate! c/o my instagram
Feel free to follow me on instagram (@penny4thots) for some pics of the food I make. Also find us on Facebook, @King's Crust fan page. 

Feel free to write on my tab below! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment