Monday 17 September 2012

Finders, replacers!


Have you ever had difficulty selecting and replacing blank cells with other words/numbers in excel? Well, I have. I had data of more than 2,000,000 and I found it extremely difficult to replace manually (one by one). 

Imagine the time I would have spent searching for each blank cell and typing or pasting the new text. Well here's a help for Microsoft Excel 2007 users

The other helpful hints from other forums (like this link)did not work on my excel sheet. I don't know why. Using "Go to - Special...-Blank cells" (Ctrl + G) does not seem to select the blank cells. It just says, "no cells were found!

Even the "Microsoft Excel Help" wasn't able to help me! Quite ironic but it really didn't.

Here is another easy way of replacing those blank cells! Just follow these simple steps.


  1. Select all data in your working sheet (Ctrl + A)
  2. Click "Find & Replace" or simply use this shortcut (Ctrl + H)
  3. Type in "Find what:" this text "* ", This is an asterisk and a "space". This trick specifically works for blank cells only! (Note: You can replace the space with any number or what not or just simply type the word or number you want replaced)
  4. Then type in "Replace with:" 0 or the word or number you want it to replace. Click "Replace All"
  5. Voila! All the blank cells have been replaced with zeros (0)!
 
I hope that my simple discovery would help some non-techie people like me. Haha. I was so amazed and happy that I discovered this myself. Thanks to my perseverance! haha

Comment whatever problems you may encounter and maybe I could help you guys out again. Follow my blog! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment