Sunday 2 September 2012

Journal #0: You'll Go Bananas!

Bananas schamananas... Oh, how I dislike(d) them!

Argh. Look at that thing!
Years ago (2007), I went to this Ministers' Kids camp thingy in Boracay Island, Aklan. I met lots of friends and new foes. The banana was one of the new found foes. I stopped eating bananas since that day. The sight, smell and taste of it just makes me want to puke. It might seem unusual for a person to dislike something so much but hey, once you hear my story you'd begin to understand.

They say that not eating bananas could cause you health hazards like having low potassium etc.  I knew then that I could get those vitamins from other fruits or veggies so it wasn't really a threat to me, hence, I didn't eat bananas for a long time. 

In the camp, there were lots of events per day. One of the events to cap off the camp was an "Amazing Race". I'm not really sure if this is where the banana-scare began but whatevs.

One leg of the race was an eating contest. Contestants had to eat whatever hideous/disgusting food was hidden inside the newspaper packaging.  Not just eat but finish the whole thing. Some people had okra (eww), ampalaya (easy), nuts etc. When it was my turn to open mine, I saw a whole bunch (piling) of bananas. I didn't care if they were senorita bananas (the small kind). The point was it was literally biting more than I could chew.

I looked at my teammates and sighed. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Well, it was a game, being very competent, I started peeling and eating the bananas. Halfway through my 3rd banana, I felt my stomach wanting to vomit. I was starting to dislike the taste. Too much of something is always bad. I don't remember finishing that part of the race. Well, we lost that part. I think we managed to get 2nd or 3rd place though.

Since then, I haven't eaten a banana. I couldn't stand its taste and smell. If banana was the only food left in the world, then I would be forced to eat it to survive.

Since this baking passion of mine began, I encounter the taste of bananas more frequently than usual. Some recipes call for bananas like banana bread, banana chocolate cupcakes etc. The taste somehow still makes me want to puke, I guess the trauma still somehow agonizes me. Ha ha.

Hmm. Hello bananas!
One recipe, the banana chocochip muffins, changed this. I started to eat bananas again-but not without chocolate. I can eat bananas but not on its own, its overpowering taste and smell should be covered by something, at least. Oh, and the muffin tasted really good. The chocolate compliments the weird taste of the banana.It removes that umay feeling you (mostly me) get.

I baked these again last night cos' someone ordered them. I was really surprised that after the taste-testing that we did, I wanted to eat more.

My little victory over the banana-scare hopefully will go on till I can eat them peacefully again! Oh, and order these delicious muffins from our little baking business! If I liked them, then I'm sure you would too!

No comments:

Post a Comment