Thursday 30 August 2012

What I love about Subic!

Subic is one of my favorite vacation spots. It is highly accessible and near. You can just drive through NLEX for about 3 hours et voila! Subic is right there! We go there about 4-5 times a year. We just got tired of Baguio, so, we chose Subic as our new favorite vacation spot. We went there last August 20-21, 2012.


What do I love about Subic?
  1. NATURE. I love the mountain views we pass by during the drive to the city. It just reminds me of how beautiful the whole Philippines used to be. It is a good thing they started preserving wildlife in Subic. I love them for that! Subic is very nature friendly. They let the animals live in the forests in the whole city. They have snakes, cow, goat, monkeys running around everywhere. Well, technically snakes don't run, but you get my point anyway.

"What are you looking at?" - Monkey Mom
These monkeys just love visiting people in the villages. you know why? They'd want to steal your food or let you give it to them.Those adorable babies they have, their cuteness would melt your heart. Believe me. I can't help but be amazed at these creatures. It's like I'm highly comfortable with them, exactly like the way I feel about my siblings. (erm, if you know what I mean. LOL)

Aside from the monkeys, there are birds, domesticated cats and dogs, and maybe a chupacabra. I don't really know what else is out there in the forests. It's a mystery to me.

    2.  ROAD DISCIPLINE. Subic traffic is so different from Manila. People in this area OBEY the traffic rules. No one dares to run a red light, swerve, etc. I love it because I love peace and order. I don't like seeing people disobey the rules and get away with it. Here people are being hailed immediately after an offense.

I remember when my dad swerved accidentally. Note the key word here "accidentally." The traffic enforcer hailed him and had him show his license to the officer. They negotiated etc... I don't really want to share what happened. So yeah, they're really strict here, no bribes can stop them. So a warning to new drivers that plan to go to Subic, please don't drive the way you do in Metro Manila. The officers will be watching you like an eagle watching its prey.

   3. ADVENTURE. Like Russel (Disney's Up) would say, "Adventure is out there!"  Indeed, in Subic there is lots of adventure. There are training camps for survival in the forests, ziplines etc. The most famous adventure destinations for me are JEST camp, Zoobic Safari, and Treetop adventure. I loved those places. You'll definitely have fun with nature!

Zoobic Safari is definitely my favorite. Being an animal lover, I got to see and play with the numerous animals they have during the tour and shows. The talent show was amazing! That's one part of the tour that you wouldn't want to miss. Don't worry, they take good care of the animals here. They let them live in an environment mimicking their natural habitats, not in cages.
Ah! They're eating right from me hand!

What I don't like about it is that they ask you to pay for animal treats every freaking time. But I did enjoy feeding the animals especially the love birds and the camel! I bet kids would love those too!

   4. BEACH. Generally, I love the beach. I really do! I love getting kissed by the sun and swimming till my hands wrinkle. Going to beaches is what I look forward to in Subic. Most of the beaches are clean. Some resorts like Camaya protect the sea creatures too. I remember last year, when we went there to swim, there was a net over the sand. There was a sign that said that the net is protecting the turtle eggs that were laid there. Isn't that heart melting? I love their management for preserving the environment and animals.

There are lots of creatures that swim with you while in the Beach. Like a variety of fishes, octopi, starfish, crabs (crustacean not the illness ha ha) etc. I love seeing and watching those things through a snorkle or goggles.I remember going to another beach on the other side of Subic, I forgot the name. Near the shore, there was a baby octopus swimming about. It was so cute. I didn't mean to step on it, I didn't know it was there. It felt weird and icky but good thing it was alive.

Some beaches have banana boat rides, island hopping, kayaking, diving, etc. You just have to know what you want to do beforehand so you can reserve to make sure you can get to do the activity. 


   5. SHOPPING. It is one of the place where I like to go shop to buy clothes and food. Some of the items sold there aren't available anywhere else. Sometimes, it is much cheaper too. Like the Dr Pepper my sister is holding. We rarely find Dr. Pepper in supermarkets in the Philippines. That's why we were so excited to buy them in Subic, well my sister was.By the way, she took all the photos I posted here and in some other blogs too.
Yum yum!
    6. FOOD. The restaurants here are also unique. I am so happy that they aren't that commercialized, not too much Jollibee, Mcdonalds, etc.
There are a lot that we have tried. Be sure to eat at Texas Joe's! My other favorites are Giuseppe's, Wimpy's, and Xpresso Cafe (not sure about the name). Like I said, there are a lot and we haven't the time and money to eat at all of those restaurants.



Oh, what's that over there?
Oh, I can't wait till we meet again Subic. I will keep on dreaming that one day, I'll have a house there with my family and go there as often as I can. Or maybe live there. I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment